Thursday, December 4, 2008

Gymnastics :)

Hi!

Today was my last gymnastics class of the semester :( I am really going to miss it. I had a great time in the class, cheering on my friends and laughing with them when one of us did something silly. I also met all kinds of people I never would have met outside of class.

It was also a really worthwhile experience. Going into the class my only gymnatics experience was in elementary school gym. At first it was a little intimidating because some of the people in my class had been real gymnasts and knew what they were doing. But as the semester went along, I made friends and none of us really knew what we were doing and we just had a good time.

I also learned to do so many cool skills I never thought I would be able to do. I rolled over the bar and round-offs off of the beam and backhand springs over these rolly mats. It was really satisfying to take on these challenges and think "I'll never be able to do that" and then prove myself wrong. I learned that I can do a lot of things if I put my mind to it. I mean I've always been able to work hard at school type stuff, but this was something totally new to me and it felt really good that I was able to improve a lot over the course of the semester.

A lot of the credit goes to my fabulous professor Marene Van Farowe. She is wonderful. She knows how to push us out of our comfort zones, but still not push us past our limits. She never made us do things if we really felt uncomfortable, but was always there to help if we wanted to try. She was also great at telling when someone needed positive feedback. I was not that confident at first and she was always giving me compliments, slowly building up my confidence. By the end of the semester I was ready for anything :)

Today was our Olympics and it was so much fun! Bragging a little bit, my routine went really well and the judges gave me all golds :) I'm going to miss my friends, the fun and hanging out on the balance beam!

No comments: