Sunday, February 8, 2009

more poems :)

Hi!

I was watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition. It was incredibly sad. This family's house burned down. Then they were at this lake and the dad was carrying the little girl on his shoulders. The dad started drowning and the 18-year old brother swam out to try and save them. The pushed the little girl to shore, but the dad and brother drowned. There were two other brothers and another sister at home. It was horribly sad and the little girl thought it was her fault, that her legs were too tight around her dad's neck and that was why he drowned. I was bawling my eyes out the whole time. So, inspired to write by my creative writing class I wrote this poem:

Baby girl,
Do not shed those tears,
Do not carry that burden.

You sat upon my shoulders,
laughing and splashing in the cool water.
I loved having you so close to me.

Then my foot slipped and couldn’t find ground,
my face plunged underwater and
my only thoughts were of you.
I couldn’t let you be sucked under with me.
I struggled against the suffocating water
that invaded my lungs
making me cough and choke.
I tried to keep you above the water,
keeping you out of this watery coffin.

I felt the hands of an angel
take hold of your shoulders
and then I couldn’t feel your skin on mine.
I knew that you had been taken care of.
I didn’t need to worry about you anymore.
My strength was waning as the angel reached for me.
Grabbed my shoulders, pulling,
but it was useless, my lungs were full and heavy.
Air would do me no good anymore.
I stopped struggling and after a few long moments
so did the angel.

But my snowflake,
my precious precious snowflake,
it was not your fault,
you are not to blame,
your legs did not hug too tight.
I know you are sad,
but please darling daughter,
do not feel guilty.

I want to see your glowing smile,
hear your playful laughter
as I watch over you from Heaven.

No comments: