Monday, March 16, 2009

You Have Him

I was watching Lost reruns online the other day and found a fabulous quote in the season two finale. Desmond is hanging out in the hatch on the island before the plane crashes and he is about to kill himself. Then a letter from his girlfriend Penny falls out of one of his books. Part of her letter says, "Please don't give up, Des. Because all we really need to survive is one person who truly loves us. And you have her." Which is very sweet and makes Penny and Desmond fans (like me) very happy and smiley.

But I love the meaning behind it. That all we really need is one person who loves us. One person who will be there to support us and be there for us when we need someone. Someone to listen when we need to vent, to dry our tears, to make us laugh, to celebrate our victories. I am lucky enough to have many of these people in my life.

As I was ruminating on this quote I thought of another profound implication. Change the "You have her," to "You have Him" and the meaning becomes quite different. The Him being God. I began to like the quote even more. All we really need to survive is the love of God. With him we can do anything, be anything. His love and sacrifice for us allows us to survive eternally with him in Heaven. So if you are ever feeling depressed or unloved remember the wisdom of Penelope Widmore and don't give up. All you really need to survive is one person who truly loves you and you have him, God.

No comments: