Monday, September 21, 2009

The Tiger in the Well

Today's quotes come from the novel The Tiger in the Well. I don't remember who wrote it and am too lazy to look it up...

"as if this were a sensational novel to amuse idle women." I enjoyed this quote because it came from a novel written to amuse idle women :)

"That sort of talk is poison... That sort of man is poison. They're hangers-on, parasites, tapeworms. They've nothing to do with us, nothing to do with progress, nothing to do with socialism. You know what bombs do? You seen a bomb go off? You seen innocent children torn apart? I have. Fight? Of course we fight if we have to. But we fight evil, not innocence. And we can tell the difference. All they want to do is kill, kill anyone, kill for the sake of killing, spread panic, spill blood, destroy. How the h***'s that going to make things better in the world? Use your voice. Use your mind. Use words. Tell people. Argue. Organize. That's what works. That's what progress means. That's where sense and courage and decency lie... Use your wits. Use your eyes. Compare. Listen. Think. Who are the good people? Who are the bad? Use your mind." Discussing terrorism and terrorists and the difference between the we and the terrorists. I don't really remember what the book was about, but I really like this quote. It is well written and just a good argument for appropriate protest.

No comments: